This will be a slow week for the Legislature, as no interim committee meetings are scheduled.
However, on Thursday, the Hillsborough County Legislative Delegation will hold its annual meeting, to debate local bills and elect a new chair. I am planning on attending, just because it’s being held at the Florida State Fairgrounds, and doing a quick preview of the local bills.
The Legislature will meet again after the Super Bowl, for more committee meetings – and actually start working on legislation.
Keep checking back for more news.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Rep. Kevin Ambler, chair of the Hillsborough County Legislative Delegation, has announced that the Delegation will hold its public hearing and workshop on local bills and its public hearing on Community Budget Issues Requests and other matters on Thursday, February 1, beginning at 9 a.m. at the Special Events Center at the Florida State Fairgrounds.
In making the announcement, Rep. Ambler directed attendees to the Fairgrounds entrance on Dr. Martin Luther King Boulevard (gates open at 8:30 a.m.), then parking as close to Gate 3 as possible. Signage will direct guests to the west entrance of the Special Events Center where the meeting will be held.
Rep. Ambler also noted that persons planning to speak for or against any of the local bills are asked to complete speaker cards on the day of the meeting. Those who did not register to speak on appropriations (also known as Community Budget Issues Requests or CBIRs) or other issues prior to the meeting may do so on the date of the meeting with the expectation of being heard at the end of the meeting after all of those who have pre-registered have been heard and time permitting.
Finally, Rep. Ambler noted that it is essentially impossible to estimate timeframes for speakers on appropriations and general issues because of the nature of the agenda.
The tentative agenda is as follows:
HILLSBOROUGH LEGISLATIVE DELEGATION
PUBLIC HEARING AND WORKSHOP ON LOCAL BILLS
PUBLIC HEARING ON CBIRS AND OTHER ISSUES
Special Events Center West, Florida State Fairgrounds
Dr. Martin Luther King Boulevard, Jr., Entrance
9 a.m. until Adjournment
Call to Order
Flag Salute and Prayer
Welcome by Rep. Kevin Ambler, Chair
Welcome by Mr. Charles Pesano, Executive Director, Florida State Fair Authority
Local Bill Public Hearing and Workshop (see below)
Speakers on Appropriations (a/k/a Community Budget Issues Requests or CBIRs)
Speakers on Other Issues
All meetings of the Delegation are open to the public.
# # #
Local Bill Public Hearing and Workshop
- Local Bill 06A – H.C. Civil Service Board/exempt technology professionals – by Sen. Crist & Rep. Ambler
- Local Bill 01 – H.C. Aviation Authority/award of Contracts – by Sen. Joyner & Rep. Glorioso
- Local Bill 02 – H. C. Public Transportation Commission: Wheelchair accessibility – by Rep. Glorioso
- Local Bill 03 – Tampa Sports Authority governing board- by Rep. Ambler
- Local Bill 04 – H.C. Planning Commission governing board – by Rep. Ambler
Amendment 04-01 – by Reps. Ambler and Glorioso
- Local Bill 05 – Tampa Bay History Center special events liquor license – by Sen. Crist & Rep. Traviesa
- Local Bill 07 – City of Tampa Fire and Police Pension Fund – 13th check for retirees, including funding – by Sen. Joyner & Rep. Ambler
- Local Bill 08 – City of Tampa General Employees Pension Plan – investment options; Plan B multiplier – by Sen. Joyner & Rep. Ambler